Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

I need some help with DerVVulfman's Grouping and Details script

This one here:

http://www.rmxp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1599

I was going to ask in the topic itself...but I seem to recall that some people don't take kindly to bumping topics over a month old (this one is almost 2 months without any posts)

I just want to know how to make it so that it doesn't display all the skill types for every character.

For example...one of my characters has Sword techniques and Ice Magic. I just want a skill list for Sword tech and one for Ice Magic. While another character uses Staff Techniques and Time Magic. I just want him to have a skill list for Staff tech, and one for Time Magic.

When I tried adding another type into the skills, it showed up for all of the characters. I want it to be different for each character.

Also...I'd like to know if you can use text instead of icons. The icons are neat, but I might want to use text...

It's an awesome script by the way...I don't need to know how to do these things...I'd just really like to know how...

Hi... Guess who.

Lucky I saw this.

I'm sorry to tell you but, skill groups are skill groups set up globally. No one individual will have his or her own 'group'. I will admit that I would like to try it later, but I've been busy. Maybe a 'class' hash linked to an array of elements? I think things out like that.

Now, as far as Icons go. There are switches built in that controls them. If you've read the .pdf file (download also available in the topic), you will see how to disable the 'icons' from the group names... along with many other features. If you didn't get the .pdf... trust me. It's 1Meg in size, but that's due to all the helpful images in the file. I wrote it so it would be easy to understand as well as being detailed.

I haven't uploaded a 'bug-fixed' version since someone found the ONE bug after all these months. But, I did post in the topic last week how to correct this bug. You did see that correction, right? Just making sure. :D

So, you can't change that part yet?

Oh well...that's fine. It's just a little detail...

Anyway, yeah, I noticed the bug patch. I didn't try it out until after the demo got an error when I tried selecting armor in battle...but I fixed it.

Also...I forgot to check the .pdf file earlier. I just looked through it, it was really helpful.

Thanks for your help, and for making and compiling those scripts together and stuff...

One last question though...do I just copy the new scripts in the demo into my own project?

You... COULD... Just remember, if you keep the DETAILS scripts set to TRUE, you will need to have the Item_Detail.rxdata file, Armor_Detail.rxdata & etc in your Data folder (cause they hold the text that shows when you bring up the Details screen).

That, and your own Config.rxdata file...

That doesn't sound too complicated...

I'm going to try this out soon...
I'm still not sure which project I want to put it in...(I'm working on more than one...)

Again, thanks...

EDIT: So...I went and tried it out...
It took a while, but I figured it out...
It's really easy to work with, to add new types and stuff...

But one thing...I noticed that on the item detail screen, that the currency is displayed on the far right side of the screen. Since my currency is "Onyx"...it goes off the side. With the default "G", I'm sure it would work fine...

But since I know nothing about how to work with scripts...I can't figure out how to move the text over...

Sorry to bug you (this includes anyone who might be reading this that knows what to do...) but could somebody help me figure this out?

I'm busy at the moment, but I'm sure I can help if no-one else does.
And about that groups for different characters. Well I've seen loads of script that use different things like items for characters. So I'll try and dig that up and then I'm sure DV can implement that in so you can have different groups :D

At or around line 937 of the Skill/Item/Detail - Pt 5 - Windows script, look for this:

Code:
self.contents.draw_text(542 + cx, 8 ,cx, 24, $data_system.words.gold)

Change it to this:

Code:
self.contents.draw_text(534 + cx, 8 ,cx, 24, $data_system.words.gold)

I just subtracted 8 from the x-position. I think I actually forgot to take the 8-pixel barrier into account then. Now, it should work fine.

8 wasn't enough...but I just kept taking off a few until I got it right. That seems so easy now that I think about...

Anyway...I didn't realize how easy it is to add more groups and such...
Just adding more elements to the Config file, and adding more elements to the database...and having icons for each...

I don't even have to edit the script! It must have been a major pain to implement all of this. I don't even want to think about it...

Thanks again...DerVVulfman.

Oh...and sykval...you don't need to do that...
To tell you the truth, I found this script while looking for a script to give the characters unique command lists...because my brother wanted it. I'm fine with this one, in fact, I prefer this one. Besides...he doesn't seem to want to give everything descriptions...neither do I...my first project (the one I'm using this script for) has LOTS of items...it would take a while to do all that...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.