Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

How do I use the ballon icon exclamation mark

Im having troubles using the ballon icon exclamation mark

im trying to have it cycle the icon so when u are in town u can see the exclamation mark over a npcs head (indicating a quest) and when u talk to them they will have a quest for you and will stop showing the exclamation mark.

Injury

Awesome Bro

I haven't played with VX in forever, but conceptually:

NPCs would have an ID, each quest could be "assigned" to the NPC. If that NPC is identified as having a quest, you match the ID on the event page as well as a switch for the indicator for that NPC (with the icon on a separate parallel process so you can still interact with that npc), to match the quest with the NPC. Then when you talk to them you can change the values to make the quest "active".

Just an idea.

edit:The only issue is assigning IDs to multiple NPCs in a single map, but I'm sure you can find a way. I just did it and made it work so yeh.

well atm I have an event that when touched it activates a switch. that forces the npc to stop the ballon icon loop. when stopped the npc can now be talked too and offer a quest

without that event to stop the loop the the npc would be stuck on repeating the ballon icon

I have the npc that offers the quest set up like this

@>loop
@>play SE: 'miss', 80,100
@>show balloon icon: [mom], exlamation, wait
@>Wait:60 frame
@>conditional Branch:switch [0001] == on
@>control self switch B=on
@
:> Else
@>
Branch End
@>
:>
@>

sorry if its hard to understand. I just dont want to have to use an event to activate the momquestswitch. I think I have no choice but to do it this way

Injury

Awesome Bro

Its not hard to understand.

Think of it top down, what do you need to happen, make it and fill in the blanks.

Is the quest a result of another event opening up this quest, or is it just inherently available?

If the quest is there, have a temp variable set to 1 and a parallel event to handle the balloon event.

When the player talks to the NPC, set the temp state to 0:

Separate event (Parallel)
If (momquestswitch == ON){
if (tempVariable == 1) {
show baloon icon
wait 32 frames (or however long the animation is)
}
}

The NPC event pages would be like this:
page 1- normal, as if quest wasn't assigned, no conditions
page 2-
switch momquestswitch
var tempVariable 1 or above
and in the event commands you have the first line as:
tempVariable set == 0 to stop the baloon icon, and then
give the details of the quest, see if they accept.

You'll probably need separate switches for the quest:
1 to be available, 1 to be in progress, 1 to be completed...

I like to use variables for those things.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.