Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

How can I chage the value of a dollar or money gold?

Hi, How can I change the value of a dollar or money gold? In scripting where would that be, Because I'm translating some scripts and making new ones but I don't remember where that would be. Thanks

The monetary value of money/gold is whatever you decide it to be. If you make lots of it drop from monsters and have low prices in the database, the value of it will drop in-game.

If you're talking about the location where the player's gold is stored in the scripts, it can be referenced with  . This variable is read-only, so make sure to use the   and   instead of assigning a value to change the players current gold.

ok I understand, Why I'm asking is because I'm translating a scrip and its in Portuguese and then money or gold is in Portuguese money, but like you said, I know know it has nothing to do with that I just need to change prices of items to make it usa money, I understand how that works now, thanks so much for your help.

But thinking about it. It would be kinda weird for a script to use a specific symbol and not use the variable set by the system terms. In the database system tab is were you set stuff like currency as G, Gil, or Gold
Or SP instead of MP. Guard instead of Defend. Weapon - Artillery ect...

I suppose if you downloaded a project folder in Portuguese everything in the databases would all be different.

Units of Money are arbitrary names and do not directly corrolate to the value of each unit.

What gives each unit its value is its scarcity, same thing as in the real world. If you started off by making the most expensive item in the game 100 feebleboners (a madeup unit of money) and the weakest enemy provide 150,000 feebleboners, the value of that money would not be very high because the value the player put on it would be incredibly low.

So to change the value of the unit, alter the scarcity. Either raise or lower prices on items, or raise or lower the quantity of currency acquired by the player.

One thing is for sure. If you want the player to finish your game, you need a baseline "rescue" of being able to recover the party when they are at their weakest and may be unable to afford an inn or recovery items. Infinite Health Drain requires Infinite Recovery. The rest is just balance.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.