Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Help with Quest monsters.

Im new to RMXP and have a very basic understanding of events and variables. What i want to know is how do i make a certain item drop off of a random monster once a quest is accepted, but the item only drops once. Ive created a new monster that has the item as a drop, but i cant seem to make it appear for the quest. Ive looked for a tutorial and havent found one :S help or a link to a tutorial will be great :D thanks!

:sad: ive tried the edited version from wichu, but the item stil drops more than once while the quest is active... and im not very good with scritpting so i havent tried sephirothspawn's, can i just ask which section it needs to go in and i'll give that a try. Thanks for all the help from you guys though, its really appreciated. :biggrin:

Don't worry...
After the character gets the item or something, make a variable that is equal to the amount of items of that kind you have. reduce it by 1. then change the amount of items you have by that variable.
@Control Variable=[1234] = [Quest Thingy] in inventroy
@Control Variable=[1234] -= 1
@Change Items: [Quest Thingy], -Variable [1234]
that way if you loot over 1 at a time it'll take all the other items away

Thanks Muffins, but its not the problem of dropping more than once per fight, its more than once from different encounters while the quest is active, if thats what you meant i appologise.

I've been thinking about how to help, since it seems that my event hasn't seem to work for you. So, I've come up with a variant.
@>Conditional Branch: Variable[0009]==1
@>Conditional Branch: Item [quest item]==1
@>Text: You find have the item. (or you could just have nothing)
: Else
@>Control Variables:[0010]+=RandomNo.(0...10)
@>Conditional Branch: Variable[0010]>=5
@>Text: You gained the item!
@>Change Items: [quest item], +1
@>Control Variables:[0009]=2
@>
@>Text: You find nothing.
@>Control Variables:[0010]=0
@>
: Branch End
@>
@>

But this event I will admit to being unsure about, since I'm not on the computer with RMXP on it. But it should work.
In theory, it should ask, in this order: Do you have the quest? Do you have the item? Do you have the right probabily to get the item, if you don't have it?

I hope this works for you.

gah i no im goin to be unpopular here.. but the item is still dropping more than once... i really dont know what's wrong... to make sure im putting the code in the right place, its on the monster troop that i want the item to drop from isnt it.

I would suggest that you start up a new 'game'. Try and put the code in there. If it works, then you may have look back through you're entire game to find out what's gone wrong. Play test your game and press F9 every so often. That will show you which switches and which variables are doing what at that point in your game. If something's out of sync, then you can alter it.

Here's my latest attempt to help.
@>Control Variable: [0001: Quest item]=[Quest item] In Inventory(Have this as a parallel process in a common event until the quest is over)
@>Conditional Branch: Variable [0001: Quest item]>=2
@>Control Variable: [0001: Quest item]-=1
@>Change Items: [Quest item],- Variable [0001: Quest item]
@>
@>
The variable = item will make sure that the variable is the same amount as the item, so if you have too many variable, you minus it by one and take away as many items as the variable. Try it in separate events and just add a few items with one event, check its variable and then use the other event and see if you get rid of them. If it all works, put the whole thing into a parellel process in a common event.

And don't worry about 'becoming unpopular'. This challenges me, so I'm improving my eventing. Besides, this is a fun way of exercising my brain after doing a day's work behind a till.^_^

But, at the very worst, you might have to get shot of that part of your game and redo it. I seriously hope you don't have to do that though.

I hope for the best

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.