Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Graphic Novels!

I like graphic novels. Do you like graphic novels? Graphic novels are cool. Let's talk about graphic novels.

Graphic novels are basically comic books that are structured and written similar to how books how - that is to say, with a beginning, middle, and end, conflict, resolution, etc. Taking a story and turning it into a visual medium.

The exact definition of a graphic novel has been debated and some are against even using the term 'graphic novel' at all. Personally I think there is a significant difference between a comic book and a graphic novel but others may disagree.

I like comics as a medium a lot and graphic novels are something I really enjoy reading. Quality varies a lot obviously but most graphic novels I see are usually decent, at least. They used to be somewhat rare but are becoming increasingly popular and better known.

Why don't we share some of our favourite graphic novels? Here are some of mine:

WATCHMEN

watchmen-cover.jpg

Arguably the best known graphic novel, Watchmen was published in a series from 1986 to 1987, written by Alan Moore and drawn by Dave Gibbons. It's set in an alternate 1980s America, in a world where real superheroes existed but are now outlawed. Features a diverse and complex cast of characters (some of the most iconic characters in all of comics to be honest) and was made into a movie in 2009 that Venetia really likes.

Was incredibly influential in the world of graphic novels. Although it has a definitive comic book art style the way it is written is definitely more reminiscent of a novel, one that could only have been done in a visual medium since it skips through time and space so often and without warning. Was the only graphic novel to be included on Time's list of the 100 Best Novels of All Time.

I picked this up a few years ago in the hype leading up the movie and found it incredibly interesting. I was never really a comic book guy - Marvel and DC superheroes never interested me much - but found the characters and plot to be so will written and structured that it drew me in immediately. I've never read anything like it before and haven't since. If you're going to read a graphic novel, Watchmen is probably one of the ones you're gonna want to go to.

BONE

X1710826Ad.jpg

One of the most critically acclaimed graphic novel series of all time, Bone is both written and drawn by Jeff Smith, and was published in 75 issues from 1991 - 2004. It tells the story of the three Bone cousins (Fone Bone, Smiley Bone and Phoney Bone) as they are run out of their hometown and end up in a mysterious valley. From there they are unwillingly swept up in an adventure that involves a large cast of characters and some surprisingly complex themes.

Bone, along with Watchmen, is one of the most popular graphic novels (technically a series but w/e) and has inspired a few spinoffs as well. I first stumbled across Bone in elementary school at our school library and was hooked from the very first page. I think it's the first graphic novel I started reading, actually, and spurred on a love of graphic novels and comics in me that has yet to die! Read it if you get the chance, it's quite lengthy but it's totally worth it.

ESSEX COUNTY

essex-county.gif

I made a thread for this graphic novel but nobody even saw it :I

Essex County chronicles the lives of a group of individuals living in southwestern Ontario sometime in the 1950s-ish. (the year is never specifically stated but implied many times) It tells the stories of people such as a retired professional hockey player, a boy who copes with the death of his parents by pretending to be a superhero, and a nurse who interacts with the many individuals in and around Essex county. It's both written and drawn by Jeff Lemire and is actually more of a trilogy than one unified graphic novel.

I'd be lying if I said one of the reasons I love this graphic novel so much is that it's set right next door to where I live. If you ever want to know what dadevster's county looks like, read Essex County and you'll get a clue. But it's so much more than that. The characters are so deep and well-written that this is almost like something you'd find being analyzed in English class, seriously. The art style is simplistic but emanates skill and precision, creating perfect mood and tone. Was in the top 5 for this year's Canada Reads contest, which is unheard of for a graphic novel. It's receiving critical acclaim everywhere it goes. It might not strike the same chord for somebody who's not from this area as it did for me but it's still a very worthy graphic novel and deserves more attention outside Canada.

FLIGHT

Flight_Issues_1_to5.jpg

I'd be lying if I said that this was a graphic novel because it's really not. It's more of a collection of short stories that are written as comics, drawn by dozens of artists and complied as an anthology by Kazu Kibuishi.

There's no real set theme or plot for any of them but some have reoccurring characters. The real catch about Flight, though, is how incredibly diverse it is. There are dozens of these fantastic little mini-comics that are done in such unique styles that I've never seen before. For some the writing may be less than stellar but the sheer originality and talent that these volumes emit is stunning. There are seven volumes so far and I have every one. I can't really describe much more than that but you should definitely check out more info for a better idea of what Flight is. Criminally underappreciated, most people have never even heard of these things.

DUNGEON

51jOrm%2BXmxL.jpg

Dungeon is actually the name for a large series of graphic novels that take place in a wide variety of times and places though star mostly the same characters. It's a satirical spoof of Dungeons and Dragons mostly but you don't have to have played D&D to find them very charming and funny. They're written by French artists Joann Sfar and Lewis Trondheim, and not all of them have been translated into English afaik. I have yet to read most of them but what I have read has really caught my eye!

They've got likable and memorable characters, art that does the job and then some, writing that's witty and concise, and there's a certain 'je ne sais quoi' about this series that really appeals to me. Again, tragically underappreciated for the most part, because they should be a lot more popular than they are.

I stumbled across one of these in our school library a few years ago. There's a surprising amount of profanity and violence in these things and it's a miracle the librarian never caught it. Check 'em out if you can, they may not appeal to everybody but I personally find them quite excellent.

AMULET

Amulet.jpg

So these may be written and draw for kids but I still find them to be really great! There's currently three of them out right now with (hopefully) many more to come. They're both written and drawn by Kazu Kibuishi, the same guy that compiles the Flight anthologies. He's a pretty busy dude!

They're about a girl named Emily and her brother Navin and a bunch of other characters including robots and a fox dude. Emily finds an amulet at her dead grandfather's house one day that gives her magic powers and whisks her, Navin and their mother to a strange and mysterious fantasy world. The writing is really good (although fairly standard) for a graphic novel aimed for kids. And the art is drop dead gorgeous - Kibuishi is a master of colour and he's never afraid to show it. Some of the facial expressions he draws may be a little wooden but he more than makes up for it with some of the finest landscapes and panoramas I've ever seen on paper. Check it out if you can, they're definitely worth your time if you like light-hearted fantasy and giant house robots.

tl;dr: i like a lot of graphic novels OKAY START TALKING ABOUT GRAPHIC NOVELS GUYS (i am really passionate about graphic novels)

moog

Sponsor

oh god bone BONE i fucking LOVE BONE

they used to have it in disney adventures and I would read it all the time at the store, it was so good

Every single freakign library near me has flight volume 3.
And no others of the series.
:\

On the other hand, amulet was okay. It didn't really draw me too much, for some reason. Read volume one, didn't read volume 2 since I didn't have it, forget all about the thing.

e

Sponsor

some stuff on my bookshelf

y: the last man
sandman
the watchmen
from hell
swamp thing
marvelman
a small killing
v for vendetta
fables

moxie

Sponsor

aaaa I love Watchmen and I haven't read Bone in forever but I'm sure I'd still love it. Even if it's for kids I'm going to have to check out Amulet based on the cover alone, because that is really pretty.

Terry Brooks wrote a graphic novel: Dark Wraith of Shannara. I've been wanting to read the Shannara books since my friend told me about them. I still haven't read them except for the graphic novel which was only 160 pages. I don't think he'll be doing anymore though. Some fans just didn't like the graphic novel format, others didn't like that its in black and white, and some think it looks too manga-styled. If he ever tries it again I hope its in full color and gloss print. I also think it should be done in parts by different artists and styles cause Shannara is to big to have only one artist's vision.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfvysS1vT58

Spoo

Sponsor

Locke and Key, written by Joe Hill, Stephen King's son, and illustrated by Gabriel Rodriguez. Quite possibly the best paranormal suspense I've ever read.

Spoo

Sponsor

Until volume five of L&K comes out I'm probably going to try WitchBlade. It looks a little too far out for my tastes but my library has it and until some dickhead returns Mockingjay I've got nothing to read.

Fayte

Sponsor

Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse story and art by Ben Templesmith.
wwood.jpg

So far there are only three books out but it's soo good. You guys should check it out.

LINKS!!!

GOD DAMN IT :biggrin:

I'm exited, the cover looks promising, I haven't had an urge to read a comic like this since Sandman. Could you post a link to somewhere where I can read Wormwood online? if such a site exists...

black-evil-cover.gif

Browsing online and I saw this available as an ebook. I've never read a graphic novel as an ebook before. I was kinda expecting it to be like a pdf or cbr format. But it wasn't, and I nearly had a bitch fit. Ok, I did have a bitch fit and I even wrote a letter asking for a refund.

I had to download this Adobe digital edition first, and then downloaded the book. I wasn't sure what I was looking at when I saw the first page. It wasn't really a "page" it was a panel. Instead of flipping though pages you're flipping though panels surrounded by white background. Some panels are grouped together on a page. Some are single blocks centered, or rectangle shapes high centered leaving all this empty white space below it. It's obvious that someone cut up the pages and arranged the panels like this.
I found out why they did this. It's because Adobe digital edition is meant for text only. You can't zoom in to pictures. I don't know why they bothered because the text bubbles are still hard to read. So I just scrolled though the document going think "This looks like shit". Don't get me wrong the artwork is fine, can't say anything about the story cause I haven't read it yet.
I'll stick with print next time.

I tried joining the forum on the author's website to ask if they knew it was presented like this. But in order to join you have to register, make 3 post on a special board: introduction, what books you've read, copy and paste a line of text. Then go the control panel and change your usergroup and wait for an email for approval.

So far I learned that this graphic novel is an adaption of a Circle series. Black, Red, White, and Green (those are the titles). The first 3 got graphic novel adaptions, but they didn't do well enough to do one for Green. It has some kind of Christian symbolism like the Chronicles of Narnia. The author is not long with the publisher Thomas Nelson which basically publishes Bibles and Jesus related materials.

So now I'm getting a kick out of all these "Christian" graphic novels I've never heard of before.
51ZQxAoT0eL._SS500_.jpg

Spoo

Sponsor

I guess technically it counts as a manga, but I've been checking out Crying Freeman. It's from the early 90's I believe. Basically a potter is forced to work for the Chinese Mafia as a hitman. It's certainly graphic, if nothing else, and I find it pretty interesting.

Fayte

Sponsor

250px-Y_-_The_Last_Man_23_-_Widow's_Pass_03_-_00_-_FC.jpg

Y: The Last Man is so good that it doesn't make sense. It's almost a must read if you're into indie comics and things like 'Midnight Nation'.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.