Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Discuss anime here.

Fayte

Sponsor

I just started watching Fire Force and it’s pretty cool.. animations are super dope. I can honestly do without all the extra fan service crap though.

Finished up Infinite Dendrogram. A couple of the episodes were delayed due to the shutdown in China. That kinda tells you have fast they push stuff out the door. They're only a few weeks ahead of broadcast. Or just this studio anyways. Seems way different in the west where voice actors do recording half a year in advance. And sometimes shows have episodes leaked months ahead of their broadcasting schedule.
Infinite Dendrogram was kinda crap. I knew from the start it wasn't going to be very interesting. And towards the end, it switches focus to other characters in a weird way.

Currently watching Cop Craft. It aired last fall, but I'm just now getting around to it. I thought it was going to be a robot-maiden thing. Turns out it's more of an Urban Fantasy with elves and fairies and wizards.

When I was stuck at my sisters last month I started watching Seven Deadly Sin, which is like a Netflix original anime. I'm not a fan.

I was thinking about watching Fire Force. I thought it was going to be something like a sports team buddy show. I don't know what gave me that impression. But then I saw a fight scene which looked pretty amazing. So I'll have to watch it some time.

Fayte

Sponsor

I’m watching fighting force (currently on episode 11). And although the story is interest and the animations are hella dope.. but the fight scenes are severely lacking and really boring.

I'm spending today binge watching anime series I haven't watched in a month. I completely forgot I started Cop Craft until I started posting here.

The quality of the newer show is noticeably lower due to the pandemic. I was watching Zero Chronicle. It probably already had a low budget to begin with. But I swear 90% of episodes are still frame pans and zoom. It was boring and kind of making me motion sick watching slow zoom in, zoom out, pan left, pan right. And you'd finally have a far away shot that's perfectly still, and it's jarring because you're not tracking anything any more.
And whenever they're walking it's framed at a high angle so you just see the ground. So they don't have do like parallax tree rows or have someone design a room.

There was something else I saw recently, I forgot what it was. But the backgrounds were so bare. You got these mansions that are nothing but a wall and a rug. Hallways with no doors. Kind of reminded me of some stock Visual Novel background of like a dorm bedroom with an empty bookcase and shelf.

Getting around to finish watching Cop Craft. Just a few episode left.

I binged watched Bofuri in a single day. It's entertaining but pointless. Basically a girl dumps all her points in vitality to max out her defense and it breaks the game. Lets her acquire other skills that help her break the game even more. But at the end of the day it's just a person playing an MMO. There's no drama or high stakes. If I hadn't watching it all at once I probably wouldn't come back to it.

Re:Zero is starting it's second season.
Also this season is Misfit of Demon King Academy which is pretty similar to Demon King Daimao. But Daimao is over 10years old now, and I'm noticing people dismiss decade old anime like it's irrelevant or that the new generation of viewers won't watch it. It's like when people talk about isekai, they might acknowledge older anime from like the 80s and 90s that definitely go in the genre. But they only want to focus on the "isekai boom", shows from after 2010.

Speaking of older anime, I've been meaning to rewatch Noein. I watched it in like, maybe '08? I don't even remember what channel it was on. Maybe Scifi before it became Syfy. They had an anime hour block that didn't last very long. So I never got to see all of it. I actually forgot the name of it until recently.

I binged watched Kami no Tau (Tower of God) yestersday. 13 episodes.
Turned out to be very different from what I was expecting. Like if The Hunger Games were an anime. It's similar to how Naruto started out. This 13 episode arc is just one big exam to allow people to begin to climb the tower.
It's a South Korean manhwa. I think a characteristic of that is that characters focus much more on their social status. Have vs Have-Nots is a big theme. I mean Japan uses that too at times but it's more concentrated on a few characters and their family. But with Korean stories, it's everybody. I see it in their online games too, that have leaderboards, ranks, titles.

And then the drama. I've never watched a Korean Soap opera but I've heard how crazy and unreal character relationships get. Lots of twists and betrayal. The male protagonist pursuing a girl like she crack cocaine.
Tower of God is very vague about how much time the protag and this girl spent together before the story began. I got a feeling they'll revisit that and fill it in with a completely different picture.

Watched Grimoire of Zero. Its from a couple years ago. I want to say it was good. It had good world building and character development. But it has a pretty big plot hole. I think it's only there because it was a 12 episode adaption and they were raising the stakes in the last 3 episodes for a dramatic time crunch. Its good if you you don't think too hard about consequences and implications.
At least it went somewhere and felt like a conclusion in the end.

Danmachi aka "Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon?" is starting a new season. I really enjoyed the first season, but the last season left me with the impression that it's not going anywhere, so I'm not really thrilled about it.

I have not watched the new Digimon anime. Which is a reimagining of the original first season, like set in present day instead of 1999 I guess. I've heard it's pretty bad. And it was also delayed because of Covid.

And speaking of blasts from the past. There is a new Inuyasha spin off starring their kids. I just watched the first episode which is mostly a flashback/prologue that's more like an Inuyasha episode. It hasn't really introduced the new characters yet, but what they did show wasn't very flattering.

I binged watched Divine Gate the other day. It was like a 2016 anime based on a 2013 smartphone gacha app.
It was about as bad as I thought it would be. It's so watered down with 2 dozen characters with nothing to them. It's kind of amazing they could tell a story at all. But to it's credit, I think it did more in 11-12 episodes than what other shows have done with a smaller concentrated cast.

Gacha inspired anime series seem to be becoming more frequent. In Danmatchi's case it got a gacha game after the fact, I believe.
The latest Danmatchi episode had a big lore bomb regarding the dungeon.

I'm not really watching anything else at the moment.

If I could plot my enthusiasm for Danmatchi season 3 on a line graph. It'd be a steady middle line that spiked at about episode 6 or 7 I think, only to plummet the next episode, and continue to slope down hill.
Without spoiling anything, those middle episodes felt like the season finale, and then the actually final episode was just anti-climatic.

I also watched 'I'm standing on a million lives' which didn't really go anywhere. It shifted slightly from fantasy to absurd towards the end. I couldn't tell if their "renewed for a season2" was serious or not.

I'm on Anime overload right now. So many new shows to watch on top of my back log.

I'm savoring Psycho Pass season 3 from 2019. The episodes are longer than 30 minutes, but there's only 8 of them.

Log Horizon just started a 3rd season. But "3rd" might not be accurate. It might not be picking up where it left off 5 years ago. I don't know.

Re:Zero is still on going.

There's one called "So I'm a Spider, So what?" an isekai reincarnation story. Because the main character is a spider monster it's using 3D Anime Animation. Something about 3D human anime bugs (no pun) me, but with Spiders, it's works.
But also, it's refreshing to see actual animation again. Because of covid, I swear the recent cartoons were virtual slideshows panning still images.
And part of the reason there's so much to watch all of a sudden is because they're releasing all the shows that were delayed from last fall to this year.

Fayte

Sponsor

PSA: The Promised Neverland is back with season 2.

I’m rewatching hajime no ippo in preparation for its epic return and I’m loving every minute of it.

Gawd. I'm watching Log Horizon season 3 and I hate it. The original season came out way back in like 2012-13 maybe. I was really looking forward to closure - which is foolish of me, I know. But I could at least enjoy more world building and video-game metaphysics fantasy.
But no. So far it's been nothing but politics. Clearly meant to align with the US election season.

I binged watched Death Parade recently. It was pretty good. Made by the same studio that did Death Note. They even had a cameo appearance of Light Yagami, so there's some speculation about if these worlds are really connected somehow.
I have NO IDEA why "parade" is in the title. It was based on a short called Death Billiards. But I suppose the "parade" is the never ending stream of dead people coming in to be judge.
Basically when people die they go to this waiting room where they play a game which their hearts are judged and they are either reincarnated or sent to the void.
The over-arching story wasn't that interesting. But I'm hooked on learning more about the side characters, which is all I wish for in a second season. I guess there's also some unasked questions about the ecology of souls. If people get reincarnated, where are the new souls coming from?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca5Tf5BDSYI

I binge watched the first season of Terra Formars the other night. I've been saving it for a rainy day. I wasn't planning on watching it all at once. I just figured I'd watch the first 1 or 2 episodes and decide if I'm going to watch the rest or not. I ended up watching all of it. Not because it was good, but because it wasn't boring.

It was nothing like what I expected. I dunno what I expected; something like Attack on Titan...on mars?
The first 2 episodes kind of had that vibe.

But then episode 3 happened. And every episode after that was like, I dunno, it felt like a power rangers toy commercial. Suddenly everyone knows how to fight and how to use their abilities. Some episodes had a Mr. Narrator movie voice explaining insect trivia facts. Sometimes the characters explain it themselves in over-the-top bravado. And then the episode structured changed a 3rd time, towards the final episodes, to give backstories of other characters in other teams. Like a Naruto Filler episode, but it's only like episode 8. So I'm like, where are they going with this? Are they going anywhere?

There is a second season. I'm not sure if I want to watch it or not. I'm still processing what I saw, laying in bed, asking questions.

I actually kept up with the new anime this season. Normally I'd get bored halfway through and then binge watch the last 4 or 5 episodes.

Just watched the final episode of the Inuyasha Spin off. Great final episode. Second Season confirmed. They actually tell you it's in production too.

The rest of the series I've been watching should be wrapping up this week as well.
The new season of "I was Reincarnated as a Slime" had a nice pace to it. I mean, it was a slow pace. But a steady one.

"So I'm A Spider, So What?" was almost too slow. Spoiler? Every episode is split between The Spider reincarnation rapidly leveling up in a cave, and a time skip 15 years later where the rest of her classmate reincarnations are just now mature (as humans and other slower aging creatures) enough to start seeing action. I wasn't expecting the story to be in the cave the whole time.

Re:Zero is also ANOTHER isekai, but this recent season broke it's normal story mode to focus on the other character histories and points of view. So it feels like it's finally going somewhere.

That's the problem with isekai animes. These characters get transferred to another world - and the only question on my mind is "why? Where are they going with this?"
But! At least the isekai batch this season actually has a point.
They weren't harem power fantasies like, Overlord or...what was that other one...Arifureta.
Oh, scratch that, there was Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation. It's also a pretty slow story. So slow it's more of a slice of life anime. I mean, the Spider-Isekai was slow, but at least in the last few episode they're dropping hints that there's a purpose to all this.

I'm really REALLY surprised by how much anime I've consumed in such a short period of time. Part of it has to do with me being away from home, so I dip into shows I have saved on my phone or computer for such occasions.
Like "No Game No Life"; I binged that in a weekend. It was a fun show.

Then there's other shows like Princess Connect Re:Dive - it's one of those mobile game promotional animes. I'll never play the games, I'm just a sucker for fantasy, magic, and pretty animations. It's basically a slice-of-life snooze fest. But the animation is surprisingly beautiful at times. Oh. With shows like this, I've taken up a habit at watching them at 2x Speed.

I was surprised to learn that "So I'm A Spider, So What?" continued past episode 12, going for 24 episodes. Also I might have been wrong about what's going on. The story is definitely split between different time frames. But in the new opening they show Spider fighting who I thought was her future self. Maybe they're different characters after all, or it's a red herring? I look forward to finding out.

Spoo

Sponsor

Oh god this is a Coyote discusses Anime Here thread.

I watched Yona of the Dawn a couple weeks back. Liked it a lot more than I thought, which is unfortunate because it set up a lot of plotlines and it is probably never getting more seasons. But one can hope.

Right now I'm watching Rage of Bahamut, which has a boss OP and one of the greatest English dubs I have ever heard. I'm afraid it's going to end too soon as well though. I'm on episode 9 and it has a LOT to cover in three episodes.

Might catch up on MHAcadamia after this. I'm two seasons behind.

I should put rage of bahamut on my watch list. I'm burning through anime series pretty quickly.

Just watched Dimention W. It's very similar to "C: the money of soul and possibility control". I don't know if thats considered a "psychological" genre or not. In an affermational sense. Being about choices, reality, connections, ect...

I've started to watch the newer episodes of Dr. Stone.

I think i had one or 2 episodes left of Psycho Pass, i also have a visual novel i haven't finished. I think it's comparable to 4 episodes.

Been a bad year for anime. For me anyways. Haven't been watching anything or been interested in much.
I watched the continuation of "I'm standing on one million lives".
Not very compelling.

Last edited:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.