Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Creating conditions if character uses skills/magic in battle

Hello! I am working in RMXP on a boss battle. I want a specific thing to happen when any party member uses a special skill on it. For example, this or that will happen if you use water magic or other skills on it.

How do I do this? I cannot find a condition for "if [skill] used > do this" anywhere in RMXP.
I want to use this great thing to vary my boss battles as much as possible.

Thanks in advice!

You can do it, but it's a little roundabout in execution! You're going to need two common events to make each skill work (I'll get to the second one later).

Name: Skill A
Trigger: None
Code:
@>Control Switches: [0001: Skill A Used] = ON
You could add a conditional branch so it doesn't keep trying to turn the switch on if it's already on, but that's not necessary. :P

Now, go to the skill you want to attach this to and find the "Common Event" dropdown. Select that common event (in this example, it would be "001: Skill A").

Go to the troops tab and go down to the "Battle Event" section on the bottom half of the boss battle troop.

Condition: Switch [0001: Skill A Used] is ON
Span: Moment
Code:
@>Text: Oh noooo!

@>Control Switches: [0001: Skill A Used] = OFF

Now, when you use this skill, you'll display the text (you can really do whatever you want; I just used text as an example) and then turn the switch off. You must turn the switch off. I excluded that the first time and it looped indefinitely. xD

This will not work if all the enemies are defeated! That's just how the scripting processes battles - once the enemy is defeated, it stops everything else to start the victory sequence. You might be able to find or request a script edit to change it. I would be able to figure it out eventually, but it would take me forever and I don't have much free time until the weekend! And I'm not skilled enough to guarantee it wouldn't conflict with other scripts you may have. :x

Anyways, you need one more thing! Another common event.

Name: Turn off Skill A
Trigger: Parallel
Condition Switch: 0001: Skill A Used
Code:
@>Control Switches: [0001: Skill A Used] = OFF

If you don't do that, using it on a normal battle would turn the switch on and it would stay on until you met that boss. And parallel common events only execute on the map, so you don't have to worry about it turning off the switch during battle.

I tested it and it seems to work! Let me know if you have any problems! :)

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to figure out a way to do this with events. In the case of attacks, I tried attaching states to weapons, which could then trigger a conditional branch, but in the troop event pages, having it in "Moment" froze the turn, so nothing happened after selecting Attack, and "Turn" made it happen the following turn, which isn't very helpful! I can't think of a way at all to make guard work. :( For those, you're going to need some script changes unless someone else can figure out a way to do it.

Stardust":alabtzwx said:
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to figure out a way to do this with events. In the case of attacks, I tried attaching states to weapons, which could then trigger a conditional branch, but in the troop event pages, having it in "Moment" froze the turn, so nothing happened after selecting Attack, and "Turn" made it happen the following turn, which isn't very helpful! I can't think of a way at all to make guard work. :( For those, you're going to need some script changes unless someone else can figure out a way to do it.

Ok thank you anyway!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.