Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Conflict Resolution- Please help!

Injury

Awesome Bro

Hello!

I'm making a system!

This system is kind of a card/icon based system. It uses a timeline. The cards are broken into 4 cards on the enemy and player side. The cards move towards the center where the point of conflict resolves a formula to push either the player's or the enemy's command to action. Kinda like this:

[][][][][^]{}{}{}{}

[] - Enemy card/icon slot 0-4
{} - Player card/icon slot 0-4
[^] - Point of conflict
^ - The "winner" of the conflict formula becomes the action

I can probably get the cards on the timeline, the only thing I need help with is figuring out what to do to have this resolve the conflict and then perform the action.

Each slot is empty at the start of a battle. The player places actions (cards/icons) from basic choices like Attack, Defend, Item, etc and then they have a deck.

The deck contains buffs, de-buffs, shuffles, cards that kick cards out of the timeline, speed up timeline, etc. The affect cards.

Anywho, that is my issue right now. I can get most of this stuff done, but I need this or I can resolve making this at all.

I will work on improving my coding skills as I go back to school here soon, but it would be nice to work on this prior.

Please leave your questions and comments below!

Thank you so much! :)

So talk more about the formula. Are the cards numbered?
It's basically slot1 vs slot1, then slot2 vs slot2. [][][2][1][^]{1}{2}{}{}
What happens to the cards after they win/lose. Is there a discard pile that gets shuffled when you run out of cards.
Are you adding a new card to the slot every turn? To any slot?
Or just when both opponent's slots are empty, to start a new phase.

Injury

Awesome Bro

Card numbered?
-The cards aren't numbered really. It isn't always 1v1 or 2v2 in terms of which cards face which. The idea was a more face paced swipe and drag thing, but for the basic part I need to focus on the middle.

Cards after win/lose?
-As the conflict resolves, the cards actions happen in a stack, so it doesn't really matter who wins, but I want it to be based on a formula involving speed.

card v card
look at player speed v enemy speed
formula
randomness % based on luck? (idk)
result
do actions
remove cards

There is no discard really. You have your basic action cards, Attack, Defend, Item Skill and then you have your other cards/icons you can rotate into battle. I'm working on that whole aspect. I'm thinking I want to make it so you can equip like 5 other cards that are randomly drawn as you play. Or more.

Enemy Slots
-I'm not really at the point to focus on it, but ideally it will just add based on a simple AI setup.

Thanks for the questions, please ask more. I want to work on it.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.