Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

compressing custom made audio

Hi, this has prob been asked so many times but i can't find anything on here
that explains this process.. so..

Is it possible to archive your custom music that you've had made when you
archive your completed game for distribution so people can't use your own
music?

Just that my games music is completely original made just for my game that
I have paid for, will be $250 at the end of this week, and I don't want people
to steal/use them. If there is a way can someone please link me to a noobs
tutorial with the process to do this please.

Thanks.

this discussion has been going on since rmxp most people will tell you you cant do it, others will tell you you can but its easy to decrypt. there are lots of answers, some more valid then others, here is what i did to prevent my audio from being stolen (please note that it can still be reverse engineered, i just never heard of anyone doing it)

1. i created my own audio format and stored all my audio files in it.
2. i created an encrypted installer for my game that created a random 128 bit password in the registry, then as it installed the files it encrypted them with that key.
3. i used a dll i wrote to decode and play the audio files for playback.

i know this is quite possible to reverse engineer, but ive never seen a tool made to do it. and its still better then any other way ive heard of. alot of people tend to disagree with me on this i dont mean to cause a debate, just telling you one of your options, assuming you know enough to do my method

Vergessen":1k69wkz0 said:
this discussion has been going on since rmxp most people will tell you you cant do it, others will tell you you can but its easy to decrypt. there are lots of answers, some more valid then others, here is what i did to prevent my audio from being stolen (please note that it can still be reverse engineered, i just never heard of anyone doing it)

1. i created my own audio format and stored all my audio files in it.
2. i created an encrypted installer for my game that created a random 128 bit password in the registry, then as it installed the files it encrypted them with that key.
3. i used a dll i wrote to decode and play the audio files for playback.

i know this is quite possible to reverse engineer, but ive never seen a tool made to do it. and its still better then any other way ive heard of. alot of people tend to disagree with me on this i dont mean to cause a debate, just telling you one of your options, assuming you know enough to do my method

Very neat idea. :thumb:

Seph holy crap i havent seen you in ages!!!!!!!! you taught me everything i know, back then i was plague180

decanos78":2pji3o0a said:
LOL okay... you lost me inbetween 1. and 2.. lol

long story short, it took me a year to do and involes lots and lots of programming and optimising since transcoding can take alot of time.

Personally I'd look into running zlib in rmxp and make a password encrypted zip full of the audios that can only be accessed in game, would be difficult to set up but easier to manage once it gets going. Downside is of someone really wants that audio they can still find ways to decrypt.

Have you considered simply naming the files ambiguously and adding lots of meta data so you can tell when someone has stolen your audio and you send them an angry letter?

Xilef":3nzb9rfa said:
Personally I'd look into running zlib in rmxp and make a password encrypted zip full of the audios that can only be accessed in game, would be difficult to set up but easier to manage once it gets going. Downside is of someone really wants that audio they can still find ways to decrypt.

Have you considered simply naming the files ambiguously and adding lots of meta data so you can tell when someone has stolen your audio and you send them an angry letter?

my first thought is to decrypt game (plenty of tools out there) look at ruby code, pretso chango password for zip, am i wrong?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.