Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Career thread

I've been staring at the career post I made ages ago that a certain fantastic person turned into it's own thread [arpgmaker.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77553] and now I'm considering making a larger thread, stickied at the top of the Game Development forum, where career requisites and game job hunting can be discussed.

My idea in it's current form would consist of a single thread with the first post having a small index page where you can scan if your job idea is mentioned (Eg; Art, programmer, designerlol) and then you scroll down to the section and it lists suggested degree courses, areas of a portfolio to work on, job search websites or articles about the specific job.

After that, the rest of the thread would become a "game job discussion" like pwoym but job oriented, so people would ask where to begin with job X and if it's not listed, then we can all do some research, edit the first post and shove job X into it, if someone here who has job X wants to give advice then they can, etc, etc.

So that's my idea.

Anyone want to add to this?

I haven't done it yet because the alternative is create sticky threads for each forum section dedicated to careers of that section, I am unsure if that is a better idea than having a single thread, on top of that perhaps even a forum category.

I'm guessing you're with me on the idea of a single thread?

Injury

Awesome Bro

In a way, different sticky threads for each section would make for a less convoluted single thread with a myriad of career choices. Either way, I think this is a great idea!

Injury":j3kard84 said:
In a way, different sticky threads for each section would make for a less convoluted single thread with a myriad of career choices. Either way, I think this is a great idea!
But my worry is spreading the info thin, many small threads perhaps wouldn't get the attention that a single larger thread would and people's posts would end up not getting noticed.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.