Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Anybody starting game maker for UNI?

Round about this time last year if I remember correctly I was doing Game Maker at University. Wondering if anybody is currently at that stage right now?

Amy Pond":3k3rnz4p said:
Round about this time last year if I remember correctly I was doing Game Maker at University. Wondering if anybody is currently at that stage right now?
We use C++ with SDL, we DID use Flash but that was just to get us into the programming mind-set.

We have to learn Java as a second language, but we don't make games with it.

I'd be very worried if I was asked to use game maker at university level.

Xilef":12ewav4r said:
Amy Pond":12ewav4r said:
We use C++ with SDL, we DID use Flash but that was just to get us into the programming mind-set.

We have to learn Java as a second language, but we don't make games with it.

I'd be very worried if I was asked to use game maker at university level.
Heh, I believe that would because you underestimate the importance of design :P

I haven't used GM in school, but I am in for CS not games.

Yeah the module we used GM in was "Game Architecture, Design and Development". GM was just used to get us used to the concept of using an engine/editor and whatnot, and to design games and make them from that. We moved on to Unreal 3 and then finally this year onto C++ in Visual Studio for our games.

I wish I could still remember all the stuff we did with it. It was just working from a simple book though (called The Game Maker's Apprentice). You can get it through "the usual means" (meaning a bookstore, of course :smug:)

Jason

Awesome Bro

Well we did a unit on Game Maker in college, and it was my highest graded unit (I got passes and merits in everything else, but a distinction in this, lol) although we basically just had to make some sort of a maze game (Mine had a narrative and everything, everyone elses was just... a maze)

Since then I've made other bits and bobs with it, but nothing really serious, there's still so much I don't know how to do, and I can never find the motivation to learn anything other than basic GML (I can do the very basics, that's it, nothing expansive or anything).

I'd read through this book you suggest, but seriously, I'm not too big on following tutorial things, especially since they start off TOO basic, and I either get bored before anything exciting comes up, or just get lost in whatever they're talking about.

Amy Pond":eu9chb8p said:
Yeah the module we used GM in was "Game Architecture, Design and Development". GM was just used to get us used to the concept of using an engine/editor and whatnot, and to design games and make them from that. We moved on to Unreal 3 and then finally this year onto C++ in Visual Studio for our games.
Orite I'm on a games programming course specifically, don't really cover design, architecture or development.
Some of the people I work with really need to learn those things though, they have no clue at all.

Mine's also specifically programming. It's weird how little programming we actually did in year one. Year two is mostly programming though.

Year one -

Game Archy, design and dev
C for beginners
Photoshop and flash (pointless and unrelated to game making)
Computer systems and networks

Year two -

C++ for games programmers
Modeling and AI (another C++ module)
Database design and imp
3D modelling and graphics (maya, and various programmin languages)

Amy Pond":2fv7084b said:
Mine's also specifically programming. It's weird how little programming we actually did in year one. Year two is mostly programming though.

Year one -

Game Archy, design and dev
C for beginners
Photoshop and flash (pointless and unrelated to game making)
Computer systems and networks

Year two -

C++ for games programmers
Modeling and AI (another C++ module)
Database design and imp
3D modelling and graphics (maya, and various programmin languages)
Where do you go to uni?

Down here (In Kingston Upon Thames uni) we did Flash Action Script, then C++, a short C workshop in the middle, and Java throughout it all.
Photoshop and game design would have been for those on the game design course (As opposed to programming) and networks here is a complete different course :D

Year 2 we'll be doing C++ and 3D programming entirely.

Peri twisted my arm (and my nipples) & convinced me to try it out. I went through the 1st tutorial yesterday. I like what I see so far. anxious to get into the GML stuff.

Not for UNI, just for fun. If I go back to UNI it will be for a philosophy degree.

We used Game Maker to learn the basic design process, but as soon as it got to the higher level classes, as well as Level Design, we used Unreal Engine 3 and Torque. Neither engine is a particular favorite of mine for RPG dev, mind you, but they are great learning tools due to the HEAVY amount of documentation available.

Game Maker IS a good learning tool, due to it's quick learning curve and high level of documentation. And I've seen some extremely complex games made for it. However, since it is primarily a 2D engine, it lacks the overall functionality to teach realistic game and level design skills to anyone in a University setting.

Granted, an any University that teaches Game Design, there is still a scramble for what is good to use. After all, the curriculum is still so new...no one best way exists to teach it.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.