Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

ABS & TBS mixed up -> everyone can help :P

ATB²S

At the moment, I need ideas of how to do skills in abs >,<

Hey there everyone XD

2 of my colleagues and I decided to try and be creative.
As some already know, we are currently using XAS(29-04-2011); unfortunately, it's not only prone to cause severe lag, but also too many bugs, along with being incompatible with many scripts.

Starting by discussing the pros and cons, we had the idea of mixing up ABS and TBS(turn-based). And how would this work?
Basically, players would still be able to cut bushes, destroy cave entries using certain objects (kind of like the bombs in Zelda) and such...

Players would also be able to use spells such as the Fire Ball to hit an enemy from the distance, causing a surprise strike. Basically, it would be an attack that would strike first as soon as the battle started, be it a spell or a sword strike (this is where the ABS part comes in): just before the battle (in a Turn-based system) begins, the enemy would get hit by the aforementioned move causing damage or change of status if that's the case.
Of course, this is just the gist of it. To be honest, I've no experience in working with ABS stuff, so I'm here to ask for your ideas on how to do this, mainly the part of the ABS. The TBS one will be the easiest I suppose.

So, what do you think? Please comment, give your ideas on how to do this... because I really have no ideas of how to start it. The major problem is the ABS part, because I've no experience in coding something related to it. XD

Any help is appreciated, even if you can't say 'try this code', give suggestions to get the system better, etc. ^^

We really believe that this is a nice idea to start working in xD

Progress:

@updated 30-04-2011
I accompished to develop a system to check the events position in relation to the player >.<
I can cut bushes with 1 sword now <.< but the code of this is kinda creepy and i couldnt change the graphic till now while the cut is on xD

@updated 01-05-2011
Unlike XAS, in which bushes or boxes only would be broke with only 1 weapon, I've made a method that would pick the weapons that would be able to do that, not only 1, but all that we want.

This weapons are configured at the script, by writing the weapon_id, range and the animation played when this one attacks by triggering Enter or C.

@updated 02-05-2011
Detected and corrected a bug on the 'breakable' stuff that didn't respawn after going in the previous map again.
Corrected guards sensor (had a problem with the self switch turning off >.<)

@updated 03-05-2011
Well, I've finally completed the delay mode/change of character and its animation when doing the hit..
Also, the enemies can finally get 'preemptive strike' by the character xD, the 'problem' is how to do it XD. The 'radar' works 2 well and its kinda difficult to do a surprise attack but that's why it's a game o.o
Tomorrow, along with my project partner, we're going 2 finally put all this on the project, so I can say it's a version 1.0 Beta loool xD

At the moment, I need ideas of how to do skills in abs >,<

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.