Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

A Decent Durability Script.

Ok so im trying to create a system whereby Weapons have durability and upon reaching zero become broken and then break into parts. These parts would then be recycled in a crafting system, the script for which i have found and am confident will be useful.

I was sure that while i was browsing at work, that i found the perfect script for what im trying to achieve but upon trying to revisit, all those i can find don't seem to have the functionality i need. Namely of Destroying a Weapon when reaches 0 Durability and placing multiple items in the bag.

If there is a work around that you know i could use please enlighten me.

Ok so Rundown.

Weapons Level up (Fomar0153's Equip Levels Up Script), as they do a new instance of the Weapon is created (X Sword Lvl 2) and the original incarnation (X Sword Lvl 1) will be destroyed. Lvl 1 X-Swords will always drop the same thing as other LVL 1 X Swords and likewise for LVL 2, so the reward comes from levelling your sword before you break it to get better materials to put into making new weapons.

make sense?

- How does it decrease durability?

(On each successful attack, some skills also have a greater negative effect on the weapon than the default)

- Does it need to be SDK Compatible?

(No, i only intend at this stage to make this in VX ACE for the PC)

- Is there a chance it won't drop the same things every time?

Each weapon has its own set of items that it will drop each time its durability reaches Zero, with a chance of dropping rarer items in the better weapons that will not definitely drop.

crude example of the sorts of things i mean.

Noob Sword LvL 1 --> Noob Hilt (100%) + Shattered Blade (90%) / Basic Blade (10%)

Noob Sword Lvl 2 --> Noob hilt (100%) + Basic Blade (100%)

Flame Sword Lvl 1 --> Ornate hilt (100%), Hot Blade (100%), +(Fire core 10%)

Flame Sword Lvl 2 --> Ornate hilt (100%), Hot Blade (100%), +(Fire core 20%)

EDIT

Thank you for taking the time to reply and offer assistance btw :D:D:D:

Your reply made me realise that this request was for VXAce and not XP (for some reason I still live in the days where XP was the standard ;_;)
I ever do manage to get a copy of it I'd be more than happy to help out, but until then I can't do much about this script.
Sorry for the misunderstanding - I'm sure there's someone else around here who could help out :grin:

ZenVirZan":1a4ka3af said:
Your reply made me realise that this request was for VXAce and not XP (for some reason I still live in the days where XP was the standard ;_;)
I ever do manage to get a copy of it I'd be more than happy to help out, but until then I can't do much about this script.
Sorry for the misunderstanding - I'm sure there's someone else around here who could help out :grin:

ahh shucks, oh well thanks for offering bro. The hunt continues....

just a quick question of the difficulty of learning how to create a script like this. My scripting knowledge is more or less zero, but i was wondering how difficult a script like this would be to make.

One of the main barriers to learning how to produce these scripts is not knowing where to start or what to start on. Having no way to know the scope of anything i try to make, also kills my confidence that what i am attempting is even doable.

baghead_jackson":gh6k86yq said:
just a quick question of the difficulty of learning how to create a script like this. My scripting knowledge is more or less zero, but i was wondering how difficult a script like this would be to make.
My initial thought was that it wouldn't be very difficult to make at all
Upon second thought, considering the fact that you can have two of the same weapon ID in your inventory, was that it was actually kinda difficult to do. I'm not sure off the top of my head how I would go about separating item IDs and their durability if they're the same item, and when it comes to equipping a weapon you have duplicates of, how do you tell which one you want to equip if they have different durability states? I guess you'd have to create a second window to prompt which weapon to equip. I'm not sure how Ace works, but in XP all weapons were just IDs and there was no specific data attached to them other than the default, so manipulating data specific to different weapons can be tricky if it is stored the same way.

baghead_jackson":gh6k86yq said:
One of the main barriers to learning how to produce these scripts is not knowing where to start or what to start on. Having no way to know the scope of anything i try to make, also kills my confidence that what i am attempting is even doable.
If you're looking to get into scripting, try fiddling with a menu after doing a few Ruby tutorials. I personally learnt just from reading the default scripts over a year or so, so it's not very difficult to pick up :)
If you can think of a way of it working and you're being realistic, it's doable. Whether or not you've had enough practice to make it happen is another story. So yeah, try making a HUD or just reading through the default scripts and seeing what calls to where and how each part works and I think you'll find it's a lot less scary than it seems.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.