Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content [Facebook] 60 Seconds - Arcade Shmup!

Dead content awaiting restoration.
screen1.png

This is my first attempt to make a flash game integrating facebook api for leaderboard and stuffs. Also, it's bullet hell shmup on facebook! Now bragging about your score with your shmupmania friends is much easier.

http://apps.facebook.com/sixtyseconds/?ref=mf

The game is your basic bullet hell shmup game. You have to survive for 60 seconds while trying to get as many points as possible. The enemy waves are procedural generated, and will get more and more difficult as time pass. Going up higher on the screen will give you more multiplier. You can also enter slow mode for precise movement by holding left shift, but that will halve down your current multiplier.

This is still beta though. I have yet to implement monthly and weekly ranking, so now it's alltime ranking only. I'm experimenting with enable fullscreen too ( FarmVille and Restaurant City did it ) since it's much better to play bullet hell shmup fullscreen. I might add an extra boss or something too.

Anyway, happy gaming! New flixel rocks! The game plays very smoothly on my computer, and I hope it's the same for you guys!

Player and enemy sprites are done by SquirrelSquid. Great stuffs!

screen2.png

screen3.png

Sabao

Sponsor

Played this when I first saw it on your Twitter. Fun stuff, too bad I can't get past the first five seconds. :(

Scratch that. Time Remaining: 43:49.

moog

Sponsor

as cool as this looks, this forum is more for game creation through a maker or through scratch. this is basically viral marketing, even if unintentional, since not everyone has facebook. if you want to release this as an exe PM and ill re-open it.

A flash game is a flash game, imo, even if it uses Facebook to keep track of scores. I'm gonna unlock this. Also, it looks cool! Nice work, hima!

moog

Sponsor

Yeah, but how can people play it without Facebook? hint: they cant

i was gonna unlock it (he pm'd me saying he'd make an exe) but if you want to thats cool I guess

Well, I think any viral marketing here is unintentional and incidental. Most or at least the majority of people have Facebook, so I think it's universal enough--the spirit of the law, not the letter, etc. That said, an exe would definitely be great.

You have a great flash game here! Flash games are quite an interesting topic for one to dive in to. Why, the debate on whether flash games are the future of the game industry is a hot-button topic today!

People don't care if they own a physical copy of Texas Hold 'Em on Facebook, but there's a problem with moving more complicated games directly to the cloud. It requires a really fast Internet connection and better broadband penetration. Many expect that this can be achieved in just five years time.

That's why Acclaim has decided that the future is Flash, particularly because Adobe continues to add more 3D support. With Flash, the game is saved on Acclaim's servers. It's persistent. Everything is cog-based and scalable. Flash gives developers such as you unlimited power.

The development of a next generation API that brings development tools to developers is what Acclaim is shooting for. The suite would allow them to easily implement virtual currency, achievements, guest passes, prepaid cards, and alternative business models to their games. Developers could also adjust prices in real-time and instantly update their micro-transaction offerings.

These tools would all be hosted within FanHub.com, which is currently in the final stages of development. Essentially a Flash game publisher, it would host the catalog of games and give developers 80% of revenues. The model would allow developers to take back their own industry.

Currently, the Flash games business is leaving a lot of money on the table. If you aren't within the first or second tier of Flash games, they're buried on the pages of Web portals. Most developers release their games for free or rely on pre-roll ads – none of which make much money. And there's the problem that if a game has been distributed across multiple sites, it's nigh impossible to make sure all portals have the most up to date version of the game.

While the most poignant part of Acclaim's broad talk about the future of the games industry had to do with the Flash future, he also touched on the need for building community, interacting with audiences, and exploring new markets and business models.

Just remember, there's not game industry veteran who became successful by not taking risks.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.