Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Enfranchised gamer/reader

Inspired by writingexcuses.com discussion Writing for the Enfranchised reader

Earlier this year I started a topic about meeting expectation but no one really understood what I was talking about. This is it. As someone who reads a lot of fantasy and plays a lot of rpgs, I'm familiar with a lot of the tropes. So I'm not as easily satisfied with a lot of stories/games; I'm craving something new but it still needs to in that genre.

One of the solutions they talked about on Writing Excuses is to use tropes/story arcs from a outside the genre. Ender's Game was an underdog sports story inside a scifi alien invasion war story.

Another solution is to subvert tropes. Lead like your going in one direction, then twist it around. The problem with this is that it only works once. And if you subvert the wrong trope you just make everyone mad.
I hated Stargate Universe. It had all the scifi elements and problem/solution episode structure that I was expecting. But it had an underlining "Stranded" theme which you're suppose to anxiously wonder how and if they'll get home; and the problem for me is that after all the secrets&lies I just hated the characters and didn't care if they lived or made it home or not. But it would work for someone else who watches a lot of soap operas and likes that kind of drama.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.