Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Critique Aftermath

Copied from my blog at: http://bubblymusings.wordpress.com/

So last night, in class, my writing was critiqued by the students/teacher. Of course, before it began, I was feeling terrible. Several times I thought about just leaving, but I knew I had to hear what they thought. I wanted to know.

Basically, they liked the tone, characters, story, and imagery. Some of them wanted more of the story, and were very intrigued. They could even relate to the main character and enjoyed her snarky narration. I had several omitted words, typos and strange sentence structures, however.

I’m not sure how I should feel about the critique.

Does this mean I’m a good writer who just forgets words and writes strangely? Or am I simply good at making up stories and telling them?

Their interpretations were interesting, which means I succeeded in that part.

The teacher said she loved how the story/first chapter ended. It summed up the main character’s feelings nicely. Though she said the manuscript started very abruptly. I can see her point, though.

Here is a link to the story if you wish to read it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4j4xf41qey6sy ... STORY.docx

The story was actually supposed to be the first seven pages of our novel. I wasn't writing a book by myself at the time, so I made something up based on an idea I had for years. I did rush it a bit, because I only had a week's notice of turning something in. I don't think I'll finish it, but I don't really know.

I got mixed imagery. You could have plugged in details earlier on.

So I was picturing an older women, getting hit on by this man. Saying she'll be a cougar one day. Cougar being his last name, but maybe implying something else? The talk about his charm and smile made it see like he was confident they would get married. She takes a nap on the love seat and wakes up when her birthday stripper in a jumpsuit and mask gets there. Someone must have slipped her a drug the way she's describing everything. Then it's like, no wait, she wasn't actually awake she was just dreaming- not on drugs. Oh and she's 16 and btw she's dating Zack. I just made them out to be friends. These facts put everything in a different perspective.

As the teacher pointed out, it started too abruptly. If it was a real novel I was writing, I may have started it out way differently.

I must admit though, your thoughts were hilarious. I could see it! If I was serious about this, I'd probably write a proper beginning, but yeah. I probably won't. :P

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.