Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Intelligence: 314th Clash!

R39z7jo.png

Our Intelligence will set us free!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-D9Zq6ONKI
KOrHrk3.png

Intelligence is a wacky, cartoonish game centered around four odd heroes, whose strengths combined form a power, the power to change... EVERYTHING!

From its original debut on 3/14/2011 is at last finished-- a game to reinvent RPGs. From the absolute lack of grind, the charming high-tier writing, the engaging multitudinous boss battles or it's incredible custom soundtrack, Intelligence shall be a game unlike any other!

PKfGqw4.png
The game begins in the City of Brisbane, after some cartoony antics, Pep and Rolly find themselves having a picnic to celebrate their first year of friendship, this quickly goes awry when they find a band of odd creatures on their hands, meanwhile, a lonely kangaroo observes, and later lends her paw in dispatching off the creatures. After some explanations, the three become friends, and the story gets more and more insane as it progresses, from fighting a gassy head, defying the very concept of death, bashing interlopers off of a bridge, to the showdown with Maw, the Ancient Ones, and eventually, defying the very gods themselves!

cZnQF5k.png
Rolly Fatdog
Species: Beagle Dog
Year of Birth: 2092
Build: Short, stocky, bubbly, plump, and insufferably green. About 2"8
Origin: Earth (Homeworld), New Jersey, America (Birthplace).
Intelligence: Thick, unbiased, nonjudgmental, easily manipulated.
bmLaAsu.png

"What I-- what anyone can change is the now!"

Never one to judge, never to vindicate, Rolly's goofy heartwarming innocence and empathy place him at the forefront of radical friends you secretly look up to. Despite his almost pacifism towards his friends, his enemies get a different side, in combat Rolly's eyes become masked by a shadow, and his mouth shows a more serious expression. It's almost like a transformation.

Rolly is colored by his endless consumption of Radioactive truffles, which give him a yellow green coloration to his coat, Rolly is also very fond of food, especially meat-flavored tofu, fried mushrooms, cheese (cheddar in particular) and fish.

His power is Resolve. The rationale to see the best in anyone.

Pep Cookiedoe
Species: Tabby Cat
Year of Birth: 2088
Build: Stumpy, loose-limbed, agile, rounded and frighteningly red. About 2"7
Origin: Earth (Homeworld), London, England (Birthplace).
Intelligence: 145 I.Q. Pretty smart, positively lucid. Persistent, very self-confident.
si3zeZ3.png

"Eh, I just persevere and get on with it! Even if it ends up being useless in the end, why not enjoy it and give it my all?"

Despite his age, he has nearly as much worldly experience as Tristy-- he grew up around lots of violence, and ultimately put an end to all of it. He meets Rolly and the two quickly become great friends, something at the time Pep sorely needed.

Alike Rolly, Pep has been eternally consuming something which has changed the color of his coat, this happens to be Red Cordial. In most instances of his living you'll not be hard pressed to find oodles of red bottles strewn around, in cupboards, on the floor and such. His personality is rife with witty observations, snarky retorts, snappy comebacks, and flippant remarks, he also delves a little into the poetry, which lends him a very peculiar personality. A lot of this is a way in which he keeps many of the secrets he withholds from his friends, he does so because he's not at all proud of his past or what he does have to hide.

Pep's power is Perseverance, he's lived through much, and vows to never give up.

Tristy Heals
Species: Mountain Kangaroo
Year of Birth: 2064
Build: Solid, slim, agile, and tall. About 3"3
Origin: Earth (Homeworld), Mallanganee, Australia (Birthplace).
Intelligence: Smart, perceptive, dangerously aware.
cDQSLeI.png

"If we do go to hell, we're definitely going together!"

Tristy is the existentially-burdened world-weary heroine of a time long past, where it comes to investigation and study, Tristy is an absolute genius, she's also the inventor of the Techee-rang (her technological boomerang), a device that can contain Ancient Ones and other knick-knacks.

For all her supposed intellect, Tristy is not incredibly perceptive or confident socially, and her lack of experience with social situations probably contributes largely to this, as she's naturally wary of others. After meeting the two who would become her best friends, she's been a lot happier.

She depends heavily on Rolly for a hug now and then, and seems to greatly enjoy his company, just so long as her junk food is out of reach. Pep is a purpose for her, but she also enjoys verbal spars with him, as she and him are on a pretty even level. She also loves Pep's erratic nature, never the one to dislike surprises, a novelty she wish she'd had more of.

Despite being incredibly smart, Tristy deep down would really prefer to be more simple, and admits that she envies Rolly, as he can live freely in ignorant bliss, while she analyzes and questions everything, often leading to her further dismay.

Tristy's power is in her Trust, both of her own intuition, and of those whom she surrounds herself with.

Tristy ultimately is depressed by a severe sense of fatalism, upon discovering she and her friends would have the power to change everything, she very quickly took to adventuring with a new light and form.

Limbo Bingo
Species: Skeletopian
Year of Birth: 1712
Build: Thin, gaunt, wispy, and punitive. About 5"3
Origin: Earth (Homeworld), Puerto Rico, The Caribbean Isles (Birthplace).
Intelligence: Witty, secretive, cunning in the way of keeping secrets.
4aCBzEA.png

"Seems our mana reserves are... DRIED to the bone! Hehehehehehahahahahahihihi!"

Limbo joins the party fairly late, he exhibits a lot of knowledge about his cohorts and their ultimate purpose, but says nothing when it's broached until very late in the game. Limbo's a very emphatic party host, even impressing Tristy with the scope of his talent and the events which happen during Limbo's Wild Ride!

In combat, Limbo is one of the heaviest damage dealers in the game, and also comes with some extremely situational utility.

His power is Laughter, the ability to mend tragedy with a good joke or two, or to help out a friends mood with a good party.
WJG2mwh.png
HFy9Xd2.png
7qjJZXz.png

TSNYGsY.png
yDnpv1b.png

lFjNgQ7.png
d4cDZsN.png

I8UxYSn.png
SaKFKmv.png

JyxVyJy.png
eEfnQfi.png

HivraZW.png
xDPStsB.png

0014wHQ.png
23veJnO.png
bUe8laL.png
NO RTP required!

Click the pretty icon to download.
0n8G399.png
53w1NhW.png

Patch 1.0.1 is LIVE!
Fixes:
-Removed a line in the game.ini file that was still checking for an RTP that wasn't needed.
-Corrected a couple in-game typos.
-Fixed an issue that caused the last few battles not to suppress battle BGM.
-Implemented the Battle Music for Maw, which was finished post-3/14-release.
-RNG Elements were removed from states.
-Blu's HP (In the fight with Sisters of Virtue) was reduced from 120000 to 100000. This will make the hardmode quicker, but more difficult for the careless.
-Added some more flavor text in the Necropolis in the room the party sleeps in.
-Updated the ending text in preparation for the true end, but it also works for the current ending.
-Some conversation text was being displayed instantly, rather than having the letter scroll effect in the final encounter, this has been corrected.
-You no longer are immune to Origination's damage, but are revived shortly after death by a Phoenix effect.
-The help window text for the ability 'Power to Persevere' was working incorrectly, now it has no mana cost, but brings Pep down to 1 HP. It's tooltip has been updated to clarify this.
-Sacreblu's elemental abilities can no longer be reflected, but can still be dampened. This decision was made due to the ability Hall of Mirrors had of being able to entirely trivialize the encounter.
-The Priority of in-combat resurrection abilities was brought from 10 to 999. Making it so regardless of character, a resurrection is the first action that will occur. Red Cordial's Priority was also brought to 999.

BUMP

Updated to Itchy Patch.

The Itchy Patch

This patch finishes a lot of the originally cut but nonetheless planned features from the game, including:

The Full Custom-built OST.
Two new optional bosses.
Entirely revamped Necropolis.
Updated battle sprites for characters.
Some boss tweaks.
Bugfixes.
Typo corrections.
New dialogue font.
Saveslots cut from 120 to 16 (Having 120 was for debugging's sake. Load times when booting up the game should be reduced somewhat as a result.)
Probably more.

If you find a bug report it in the comments section below, cheers! I have done a full playthrough to the end which took 8 hours and 30 minutes.

Just played this. Again. or maybe just completely for the first time. It's changed so much. Maybe I only played up to a certain Act before. I can't remember. I know I've played Act 1 at least. Everything after that I could be confusing with Menagerie.
Anyways, I was scouring for ideas and references to put into my fan game.

Here's some bugs I found; nothing game breaking.
After the 10 year time skip in Act 3, there's some Skyscraper graphics that don't get erased.
I think I used the Crystal to visit the Underworld. Then I went back. But it took me to the town from before the timeskip. And the top of the buildings wouldn't erase.
However going in and out of the Inn fixed it and put me on the right map again.

During Act 3, after time skip, you can go into the rundown building and fight the secret boss in the TV. However Tristy is using her Ascended Portrait, before that event has happened. Too early, Or maybe something broke by going to the wrong maps. I'm not sure when you're suppose to fight him.
After the solo battle between Limbo and Hydro, the party reforms but Tristy instead of Rolly is the party leader. So if you go fight that secret boss again at this point. It'll appear as if there are 2 Tristies standing on the platform with Planet Hope in the background. Obviously one of these was intended to be the Player Graphic as Rolly.

The 10% HP/MP accessories sometime work sometimes didn't. I gave Limbo Blu's Pendent, but I don't think he ever recovered MP.
I'm sure the Heelfox Star worked in Act 1. And I had it on Rolly almost the entire game. Maybe something screws it up when I give the whole party Regen, and the accessory's effect wears off.
The Auto-Revive status didn't always work. Not sure how it's suppose to trigger. Seems you can't use it on Limbo and use his Self-destruct Skill. I'm not sure, it's like it would revive characters from a normal death, but not if they had a Skull icon as a status symbol beside the Phoenix like it was a forced death status. I could still revive them with an item and they'd still have their Phoenix auto-revive status in place.

When Trisity ascends on Pre-crisis Galaxia, you can still examine a door in the back of the map, and Pep comments on everything being stone. Also Member XII is off to the right of the map, just standing there.

When you battle the 4 heroes from Menagerie, none of Spooky's spells did any damage. Not "0". Not "miss". Just nothing. Not that I was complaining. It was challenging enough without extra damage.
I didn't try using his skills in the EPIC Final Battle to see if they worked or not.

After Rolly, Pep, and Tristy defeated Jolt they say how they "won't get to use their new items till the next patch". Some leftover text from when the game was still in development?

In the Item Menu, if you use up all of an item the help window doesn't refresh until you move the cursor.

Limbo's Vanguard skill has a typo "Life Tristy's Deflect..." instead "Like Tristy's Deflect..."

coyotecraft":2hlpvv21 said:
Just played this. Again. or maybe just completely for the first time. It's changed so much. Maybe I only played up to a certain Act before. I can't remember. I know I've played Act 1 at least. Everything after that I could be confusing with Menagerie.
This game has gone through a LOT of changes through its history. Previously Act 3 was not even accessible until 314th Clash was released. But I don't think you would have played this before, and you do have a review post on menagerie's thread.
Anyways, I was scouring for ideas and references to put into my fan game.
Fair enough!

Here's some bugs I found; nothing game breaking. After the 10 year time skip in Act 3, there's some Skyscraper graphics that don't get erased.
I think I've fixed that on my end but due to Intelligence being in a state of internal upheavel have not had the means to implement the fix.
I think I used the Crystal to visit the Underworld. Then I went back. But it took me to the town from before the timeskip. And the top of the buildings wouldn't erase.
However going in and out of the Inn fixed it and put me on the right map again.
Ah yes, that takes you to the necropolis, I think i found that bug myself but didn't get around to correcting it.

During Act 3, after time skip, you can go into the rundown building and fight the secret boss in the TV. However Tristy is using her Ascended Portrait, before that event has happened. Too early, Or maybe something broke by going to the wrong maps. I'm not sure when you're suppose to fight him.
It's expected you won't fight any of those bosses until level 50, which is what they are geared towards, however making them accessible earlier while intentional, may not have been the best design decision.
After the solo battle between Limbo and Hydro, the party reforms but Tristy instead of Rolly is the party leader. So if you go fight that secret boss again at this point. It'll appear as if there are 2 Tristies standing on the platform with Planet Hope in the background. Obviously one of these was intended to be the Player Graphic as Rolly.
WOOPS lmao.

The 10% HP/MP accessories sometime work sometimes didn't. I gave Limbo Blu's Pendent, but I don't think he ever recovered MP.
I'd have to look into it, or would if I were going to dignify the VX edition of this game any further.
I'm sure the Heelfox Star worked in Act 1. And I had it on Rolly almost the entire game. Maybe something screws it up when I give the whole party Regen, and the accessory's effect wears off.
Regen and Focus don't stack with items that give such a thing, so for Blu's pendant Pep's invigorate would entirely overwrite it, but not make it stronger.
The Auto-Revive status didn't always work. Not sure how it's suppose to trigger. Seems you can't use it on Limbo and use his Self-destruct Skill. I'm not sure, it's like it would revive characters from a normal death, but not if they had a Skull icon as a status symbol beside the Phoenix like it was a forced death status. I could still revive them with an item and they'd still have their Phoenix auto-revive status in place.
Yeah that may have seemed like an intentional anti-cheat but thats actually just how the retarded code for tankentai's auto-life property worked.

When Trisity ascends on Pre-crisis Galaxia, you can still examine a door in the back of the map, and Pep comments on everything being stone. Also Member XII is off to the right of the map, just standing there.
Ah thanks, i hadn't found those bugs.

When you battle the 4 heroes from Menagerie, none of Spooky's spells did any damage. Not "0". Not "miss". Just nothing. Not that I was complaining. It was challenging enough without extra damage.
I didn't try using his skills in the EPIC Final Battle to see if they worked or not.
Yeah there's some weird bullshit with how magic damage is dealt. When i fought them Spooky's abilities did damage just not very much.

After Rolly, Pep, and Tristy defeated Jolt they say how they "won't get to use their new items till the next patch". Some leftover text from when the game was still in development?
Yes, which Tristy then quickly revokes, it is indeed leftover text but instead of reqriting all that i decided I'd just have Tristy be like 'nah not really lmao'.

In the Item Menu, if you use up all of an item the help window doesn't refresh until you move the cursor.
A known issue, unfortunately Smithor, the coder i asked to write me the item tooltips plugin, has vanished from the rpgmaker community, so I didn't get the chance to suggest the fix.

Limbo's Vanguard skill has a typo "Life Tristy's Deflect..." instead "Like Tristy's Deflect..."
OOPS lol, didn't spot that one either.

After Fantasia is finished, I'll be starting work on two games, Crowfeast will be one, with Xiie as its artist, meanwhile Intelligence: Multi-Vitamin will be the other, which will be like a remaster with 720 widescreen resolution, a large shift in the story and all the art will be like Pjcr's.

Act 2 feels very stapled on, and thats because it was, I used to treat games like a release and would then add expansions. 1.2 or "The Firelord's Rage" was an expansion of the games story. And it was planned I would make 4 or five more for each ancient one, but that buckled under the much less boring and far more tantalizing fourth-dimensional Corporation XVI plot with you fighting basically some horrible elder god of the universe at the end. Due to the games varying story shifts some remnants of the old exist within the current which is why its a bit incongruous with its writing at times. Act 2 feels like not much would be lost if it was removed, only the General Gor fight really adds much to the overarching plot along with some small character encounters. Some revelations could also stand to come earlier, like Tristy being a kleptomanic super-genius or Rolly once being in a gang. The reason they came late is because they were things I thought of long after I'd been working on the game.

There's also not quite the character building like some of my games have, and this is largely due to the nature of the games want to keep moving, and there's nothing wrong with that but i don't think it makes the game particularly easy to get into for those who aren't used to my kind of gimmickry.

I recommend reading some of this document on how the story may look in a remastered version as it shows that there was ample opportunities to do more and i just kinda didn't think of it. Making the game in MV will also revolutionize a lot of the combat and the bugs you encountered in your play through will be things of the past.

Rolly, Pep, Tristy and Limbo have a good character dynamic and I'd use Intelligence: MV as a means to make that more present. Their hero's journey's could each be a lot more pronounced, as Tristy's is clearly shown to be in that document. Rolly for instance is the mediator, and tries his best to keep his friends together, Pep is the sole survivor of a great conflict who is still dealing with things from that era, and Tristy is concerned with where they are being led, and the reason she assumes the position of leader of the party is because she is the one who would lead them to fight against the gods wishes rather than with them.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.